Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Attitude: Time to shout from the rooftop!

“To have a thing is little, if you're not allowed to show it, to know a thing, is nothing unless others know you know it.” ~~Charles Neaves~~

My next quote should be “everything in moderation”, but the point is that it’s OK, and in fact often necessary for you to put yourself out there and strut your stuff. If nobody knows you can do it, nobody will ask you to…

I’m not suggesting that you go around bragging about every accomplishment, and I still think that often it’s more important to listen than it is to speak, but sometimes it’s time to let others know what you know.

I was at a networking event last night and I observed some great conversation. I also observed (and participated in) some missed opportunity. While some (me included) had a tendency to talk too much… others said nothing at all, even when given the chance to shine. I think, at least in some cases it was a function of a lack of confidence. If you want to get noticed, recognized for the things you have done and therefore the things you can do, you have to make a conscious decision to be proud of yourself. You have to choose to be comfortable in your own skin. You have to choose to have a positive attitude and a firm belief that you are capable of so much more. And you have to let people know about it.

Sometimes it’s OK to shout from the rooftop!

No comments:

Post a Comment