Thursday, March 10, 2011

Goals: Taking a Detour

“Establishing goals is all right if you don't let them deprive you of interesting detours.” ~~Doug Larson~~

I obviously believe in the power and necessity of goal setting. That’s not news. But I also have recently (read: yesterday - Thanks to Stephanie Dalfonzo!) agreed to free myself of the guilt associated with not accomplishing everything on my list.

Here’s the general scenario: I’d set a goal, something unplanned came up, and I’d feel guilty for not achieving the goal. Sound familiar? Apparently, I’m not alone in this scenario. Life happens. But it didn’t seem to matter if the unplanned thing was really, really positive and helped me to be successful in some other way; I still felt like I failed in some way. Now, I am specifically referring to shorter term goals here, not my 10-year plan, but that actually made it even harder, because it was happening a lot… I’d plan to get something done, would have to take a detour which often actually led to an even better place, and while I was thrilled about it, I’d still feel overwhelmed and sometimes downright rotten for not getting everything accomplished. Today, I continue my quest for personal freedom from guilt and will allow room for interesting detours. Are you in?

For more information on Stephanie Dalfonzo, visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/stephaniedalfonzo or http://stephaniedalfonzo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment