Monday, March 14, 2011

Preparation: Making Room

The Lorax: "They say I'm old-fashioned, and live in the past, but sometimes I think progress progresses too fast!"

Do you have multiple, uncompleted projects? Do you have a list of “to-do’s” that are
half-way-there; a bunch of stuff you’ve started, but not actually finished? I do right now, and I don’t like it. I feel a bit “all over the map” when I get too many of these going. I man multi-tasking is one thing, but really? I feel like I’m out of control!

I know for me, that when I recognize something in my work life, I can also typically find it showing up in my personal life. This was true here as well. So, in preparation for completing much of the “almost done” in my business, I decided yesterday to get stuff done at home. What a day! I did laundry, mailed a few cards to people (just because) that I had bought kind of a long time ago and always *meant* to send, finished some work for the Brookfield Education Foundation*, spent some time prepping the yard for Spring, and finished up some other household tasks that just never made it to the *high-priority* list. It felt great! All the while, mostly because I chose not to make this a “chore” so we were all in really great moods, we also had a ton of fun. We had our son outside doing yard work with us, and pretended that we were working with the Lorax** and speaking for the trees as we cut strangling vines down. It was a great day! And, although I spent my Sunday “working”, by the time I sat down and really was able to fully relax, I realized I *was* relaxed… due in part, I’m sure, to getting so much done!

I know that by getting things done on the personal side, I have made room for completion everywhere else, and I am so looking forward to reaping the results! What can you make room for?

*The mission of the Brookfield Education Foundation (BEF) is to marshal and provide resources for lifelong learning by Brookfield residents of all ages. For more information or to offer your support, please visit http://brookfieldeducationfoundation.org/.

** Per Wikipedia: The Lorax is a children's book, written by Dr. Seuss and first published in 1971. It chronicles the plight of the environment and the Lorax, who speaks for the trees against the greedy Once-ler. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lorax

No comments:

Post a Comment