Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thursday: Goals

Stephen Covey said that he is convinced that we can write and live our own scripts more than most people acknowledge. I do believe we create our own destiny, and we have the power to fulfill our dreams. However, I do also recognize that sometimes it’s hard to hold on to that belief.

I’ve worked hard to set goals. Some of my goals are easily achievable and are more like a to-do list for the day, week or month. Others are very long term goals which fit into a 20-year plan. And sometimes they seem like pipe dreams. I find myself questioning how achievable these goals really are, and if they’re worth the work. I find myself asking if they’re really what I want. I find myself doubting… second-guessing myself. And I can tell you from experience, that’s a slippery slope.

In an affirmation I chose for myself this morning, “I believe my inner wisdom”, I was reminded not to let this happen. I was also reminded to honor my gut feelings by exploring them. And my gut tells me that something isn’t working… so off I went in search of a quote for today, and this is what I found.

“When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.” ~Confucius

Ah! I GET IT! I’ve heard that the definition of insanity is doing the same things you’ve always done, the same way you’ve always done them, but expecting different results.

Sometimes you need to alter the path in order to get to where you want to go. And sometimes you need to have patience. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” ~Confucius

Another affirmation might be, “I allow myself to take small steps toward my goals.”

No comments:

Post a Comment