Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday: Preparation

I watched a great principle in practice on Saturday. My best friend got married. She spent months in preparation of the great day. More planning went into this event than I can even begin to explain. If you’ve ever planned a wedding, you know what I’m talking about. It was stressful, at times even agonizing. But on the day of the wedding, the bride-to-be was more calm and collected than I have seen her in a long time. She knew she had done all she could to have the day be all that she wanted, and now, it was no longer in her hands.

I’ve heard it referred to as “turning it over”, “letting go and letting God”, “sending it up to the ether” and “sending it out to the universe”.

Whatever you call it, however you label it, I think it’s so important to remember that there is only so much we can do to control the outcome of our events. You can plan, prepare, set goals, and even set expectations. You can research, do due diligence, practice, role play… but at the end of all it, just have faith in that whatever happens, happens for a reason. And, while we may never understand what that reason is, it is always for the best.

One of my favorite all time quotes by Douglas Adams is, “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.”

And, my father’s favorite quote, “Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” ~ Reinhold Niebuhr

2 comments: