Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Focus

“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success; that is way great spiritual giants are produced.” ~~Swami Vivekananda~~

Staying focused amid distractions may be one of the most difficult things to do. At least it is for me. It doesn’t seem to matter if it’s a work task, a household task, a strictly “for fun” activity or a conversation with a friend… Being “present”, staying focused only on what’s in front of me is sometimes really hard! And it’s not just the physical distractions that cause problems for me. Mental distractions are equally as difficult for me to ignore. Not letting my mind wander is one of my biggest challenges. And sometimes I just get frustrated and let little, petty thoughts take over. I guess it stands to reason, or Murphy’s Law, then that arguably the best thing you can do for yourself is focus. Being present, truly focusing on the person or task in front of you might just be the one thing that sets you apart. If you can master that, you can likely master anything! It’s like studying to be a Jedi! Or a Yoga Master! A surgeon needs focus and precision… well so do I! And, that’s my new mission! I’ll repeat my affirmation again today, “I am focused and efficient!” This may become my new mantra! It seems to be working for me!!

Again, I ask you, how do you stay focused? Do you have tricks or tips you’d like to share? I’m all ears!!

No comments:

Post a Comment