Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tuesday: Focus

“Every man's life lies within the present; for the past is spent and done with, and the future is uncertain.” ~ Marcus Aurelius

So, in what may seem a contrary post to what I wrote about yesterday, today I am choosing to write about focusing on the present. I don’t actually believe it’s contrary; for me, I need to both plan for my future and focus on today. And, I often need to be reminded of both as well. I read something a long time ago, and while I couldn’t find its origin, it went something like this, “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present.” I wish to learn from my past, look forward to the possibilities, plan for what I can, and live in the here and now.

One of the greatest gifts you can give to another person, and frankly to yourself, is to truly be present when in conversation, whether it’s during an interview, at a networking event, or over dinner with your spouse or kids. So, focus on today, be present, and grant yourself this gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment