Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thursday: Goals

“I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen.” ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

As a career coach and a recruiter, I encounter all kinds of job seekers. I work with those who require almost no external motivation to work harder on their job search than they may have even in their last “paid” job. I work with those who, while frustrated, with a just a little help, they find the inner strength to keep going and really work their career campaign. And, I work with those who spend a few hours a week searching job boards and wonder why they’re still unemployed.

A job search may be the hardest job you will ever have. Managing a true, well-rounded career campaign takes a lot of soul searching, planning, research, communication, networking, and follow through. It’s a full time, 40 hour a week endeavor to find your next full time, 40 hour a week endeavor.

If you’re in search mode, in transition, unemployed, under-employed or just plain looking for a new job, you need to take control of your future success. Dedication, hard work, and devotion to your campaign are required in this market. You need to be able to distinguish yourself from the masses. You need to be able to differentiate yourself from the others in your field who had your same job title. You need to be creative, and you need to be committed.

I get it. Sometimes that’s hard. But you don’t have to do it by yourself.

I believe that every great player needs a coach. I believe that every great player needs to be held accountable. I believe that every great player needs to work hard to stay great. And, I believe that every great player needs to pay the price for success.

Frank Lloyd Wright certainly built great things. We can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment