Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thursday: Goals (and overcoming fear)

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.” ~Michelangelo

Truer words may never have been spoken. I find it odd that while people think that they are afraid of failure, I believe that they more often they are afraid of success… Success requires change, and change is scary. Even if you believe that change happens for the best, it’s still unknown… and that, I think, is the most real fear out there.

It’s usually a subconscious fear that prevents us from taking control of our lives. It’s a fear that will allow us only to maintain the status quo. It keeps us doing the same thing we’ve always done, because that’s where we’re comfortable. Well, it has been said that doing the same thing we’ve always done but expecting different results is the definition of insanity… so tell me, how do you expect to achieve your goals and get ahead if you’re afraid to change and afraid to succeed?

I challenge you, as I challenge myself, to examine these fears. Identifying them will help us get past them.

No comments:

Post a Comment