Friday, August 6, 2010

Motivation

“The willingness to accept responsibility for one's own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~~Joan Didion~~

Two topics I love rolled into one quote; accepting responsibility and self-respect. I really like this one. I’ve never thought about self-respect as tied to being 100% responsible… but it makes perfect sense. I certainly respect myself more when I take responsibility for my self and my actions. I certainly find it easier to be 100% responsible when my ego is intact. I wanted to explore this further. I even went as far as looking up the “root word” or suffix “resp” to see if there were some deeper meaning, and I found this, the suffix for breathe is: “resp” (respiratory, respirator, respiration)… hmmm… very interesting. So here’s a leap of faith: being 100% responsible for yourself helps you build your self-respect, which in turn helps you breathe (read: live). OK, it really is a leap, but one I’m willing to take.

“They cannot take away our self-respect if we do not give it to them.” ~Mahatma Gandhi

Don’t give up that power. Be responsible for your own actions. Build your sense of self. Be proud of who you are. Live. Breathe. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment