Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Attitude and Affirmations

“Make it so.” ~~Captain Jean-Luc Picard~~

Famous for this phrase, Captain Picard made it all seem so easy aboard the Enterprise. He exuded confidence. He epitomized the power of positive thinking. We can all use a little of his determination now and then.

Recently I’ve started having mini-anxiety attacks in the middle of the night. I wake up for whatever reason, and then I can’t get back to sleep because I start thinking about all the things I have to do. That’s so unlike the “me” of late, so I took a good look in the mirror this morning… Reality Check: I stopped my bedtime affirmations. I know I’ve written about these before, but to serve as a reminder, my bedtime affirmations are simply the things I repeat to myself over and over in my head until I fall asleep. They are typically things like: “I am diligent, focused, and accomplish great things.” Or, “I am happy, healthy, successful and wise.” You know, the things of Saturday Night Live’s Stuart Smalley fame. Poke fun, if you must, but I’m telling you, it’s the only thing that’s changed. So tonight I return to my “habit”. I will sleep through the night. I will wake up well-rested. I will accomplish my goals. I will make it so.

And, I’ll report back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment