Monday, February 7, 2011

Preparation

“If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded.”
~~Maya Angelou~~

Preparing for your attitude adjustment:

I had an interesting conversation this weekend about the “attitude adjustment” movement. We were discussing ways to become more positive ourselves in order to be a more positive influence on others. It was said that it is imperative that you take care of yourself. I agree wholeheartedly. It is critical to your own happiness that you are, and that you stay, aware of your own needs, and that you do not lose your sense of self in a world that is so chaotic and often cruel. I was asked how one could be a positive influence to others; how one could help someone else have an attitude adjustment, if they themselves are unhappy. I raised the possibility that the act of helping someone else feel better in its own right could help you feel better yourself. Giving to someone else could help lift you out of your slump. The process of helping someone adjust their perceptions could be just as helpful to you as it is to them. So, if you’re not quite yet feeling up to it, prepare for your own attitude adjustment by helping someone else adjust theirs. You just might be surprised at how good you both feel.

I would like to add a special note of gratitude and acknowledgement to someone who inspired me to write about the “attitude adjustment” movement… Paul Sutherland, known on Twitter as @BreakThruGuy. Thanks Paul, for allowing me to be part of your “positive posse”.

1 comment:

  1. Jen,

    I find it hard to imagine that anyone who routinely reads your words of wisdom would not experience the urge to adjust their attitude for the better on a regular basis.

    You are a more empowering force than you may know. I salute you...and I'm not the only one.

    Thank you much for the flowers, however, I'm convinced that each individual who freely adds to the collective compassion library of the world is an integral part of the global "positive posse."

    Wouldn't it be wonderful if the global "positive posse" one day reaches the tipping point?

    You're doing your part. I'll keep trying to do mine.

    Paul Sutherland
    @BreakThruGuy

    ReplyDelete