Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday: Preparation

“Plans are worthless, but planning is everything. There is a very great distinction because when you are planning for an emergency you must start with this one thing: the very definition of 'emergency' is that it is unexpected, therefore it is not going to happen the way you are planning.” ~~Dwight David Eisenhower~~

Truer words may have never been spoken! All the preparation in the world may not actually prepare you for reality. However, being prepared can certainly help you feel more in control of your uncertainty! OK, that sounds esoteric… I’m not trying to be cryptic. Here’s where I’m coming from: I sat down last night, as I do on “good Sundays”, and planned out my week. I put some things in place that would allow me to stay focused on the work I have to do. I paid some bills, cleared out my physical inbox, and cleared off and organized my desk. I deleted “junk” emails, cleared out personal emails that had come through over the weekend so as to minimize distractions for Monday morning, and even set out some hardcopy resources and reference materials. I had a solid plan for today. And, at 7:30 this morning, they all went out the window. So be it. The good news is that I was so well prepared, that even with a two hour delay, I am confident that I will accomplish everything I set out to do today. And, since I was comfortable with the planning I did, I got a good night’s sleep and didn’t stress about the amount of work I have to do. So, plans may be worthless, but preparation is priceless! In the words of Tim Rice (The Lion King) Be Prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment