Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday: Preparation

“The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

One step at a time… Put it all on paper, lay it out, and then take it one step at a time. When it just feels like there is too much to do, planning and preparation are more important than ever. I’ve written many times about the challenges of prioritizing priorities, especially when everything is a “Priority One”! But when you really examine your tasks, when you really evaluate the priority, you need to ask yourself, “is it”? Will it really matter in five years, or even in five weeks? Usually not! The important thing is to get them all done… but that doesn’t mean they all have to happen RIGHT NOW! One of my mentors used to tell me not to worry… it will all still be here tomorrow. I’m not suggesting that you blow things off. I’m certainly not suggesting that you ignore your responsibilities. I am, however, suggesting that when you feel overwhelmed, you need to prepare, plan, and then check things off as you go. You’ll get there!

1 comment:

  1. WOW, Jen, great post today. It hit me right between the eyes. Thanks for that...I think! My today is going to be filled with following your advice.

    And I love that Emerson quote, have not seen it before.

    Paul Sutherland
    @BreakThruGuy

    ReplyDelete