Thursday, December 9, 2010

Goals

“If you have a goal in life that takes a lot of energy, that requires a lot of work, that incurs a great deal of interest and that is a challenge to you, you will always look forward to waking up to see what the new day brings.” ~~Susan Polis Schultz~~

And when you keep that goal in mind while remaining flexible in your plan to achieve that goal, the new day can bring so many different things…and you never know what you’re going to get! (Remember that box of chocolates???)

I attended a phenomenal networking event last night. I met some amazing people. I had no idea what to expect when I walked in the door, but I am so thrilled that I attended! I had several fantastic conversations, and I will discuss some of them in the days to come I’m sure, but one really struck me. I was speaking with Lawrence Eisner, ESQ (www.LBEisner.com) about how different people make sense of the chaos in the world. It was fascinating. Some people organize things by geography, remembering occurrences by where they took place. Other people may relate everything to music or art. The premise was that *innately* something helps you put order around what could otherwise be chaotic; that you are born with a way to cope. I had never really thought about it, and actually had a hard time identifying how I make sense of my world. Larry got it! I am a connector! I always have been. I put people together. I remember things by who they happened with. I discuss people by talking about who they know. I introduce people to other people and help make lasting friendships and partnerships. It is second nature to me. And, it’s showing up now! I gravitated to social media tools like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter, because they allow me to continue to be the social connector, but now on a larger scale. And I still group people together by who they know or associate with. That may seem like an obvious thing to do, especially on Twitter, but it didn’t seem so obvious at our table last night. My goals on Twitter were vastly different from others’ goals. I am on Twitter with the sole intention of connecting and engaging. I am on Facebook with the primary goal of keeping the people in my world motivated. I am on LinkedIn, and teach people how to use LinkedIn so they can build their networks and get more people to know about them. I’m all about connecting, and it all makes sense to me. More importantly, it’s helped me make some sense of my journey!

How do you make sense of your world? I think once you figure that out, your path to achieving your goal will become much more clear! It did for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment