Friday, May 21, 2010

Motivation

“I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum.” ~~Frances Willard~~

Momentum: an interesting word. Dictionary.com defines it as “force or speed of movement; impetus, as of a physical object or course of events”. Linguistically, and I am NOT a linguist, so if you are, cut me some slack, please; I think “momentum” is moments building on moments. Days are made up of moments. Moments are truly momentous…

Here is an excerpt from “Moments in the Woods” from the musical Into the Woods:

"Just a moment,
One peculiar passing moment...
Must it all be either less or more,
Either plain or grand?
Is it always "or"?
Is it never "and"?
That's what woods are for:
For those moments in the woods...

Oh. if life were made of moments,
Even now and then a bad one-!
But if life were only moments,
Then you'd never know you had one.

Let the moment go...
Don't forget it for a moment, though.
Just remembering you've had and "and",
When you're back to "or",
Makes the "or" mean more
Than it did before.
Now I understand-

And it's time to leave the woods."

So, go make your moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment