Thursday, April 1, 2010

Goals

"The most important thing about goals is having one." ~~Geoffry F. Abert~~

I think there is a lesson to be learned from my apparent inability to stick to my “plan of the day” on the days I write about goals. Yesterday, I had a very clear plan for today. Then life got in the way. A Honda minivan was driven directly into a classroom in my son’s daycare center; over the curb, across the sidewalk, through the bushes, and right through the wall. Miraculously, nobody was hurt. The teachers, for some inexplicable reason, had decided to take the kids outside early. The classroom was empty. I am eternally grateful to them for that decision.

Needless to say, daycare was closed today, and my “plans” changed. And, while this may be one of the more extreme situations I’ve faced recently (and, yes, really, everything is fine!), it certainly isn’t the only time that my goals were usurped by my reality.

Back to the lesson… I think I need to learn to better be that “river” I’ve written about. I think I need to learn to be more flexible, and “go with the flow” while keeping my eyes on the longer term goals and bigger picture. I know where I want to end up, but I need to stop being so hard on myself when my day’s plans are altered. I have a goal. And, I will get there…someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment